Linuxman's Ratings Guide
Required User Level: Beginner / Intermediate
Installation: Not Bad - The installer is quite basic and will require some manual intervention.
Support: Very Good - forums & excellent online manual
No. of CD's or DVD's: 1
Clean, Simple, Bloat-free & Fast.
Out of the box, you will be able to browse, mail, chat, listen to music, program in C, Perl, Python, Ruby,.. watch videos in various formats, write documents, print, scan, burn CD and DVD, connect your camera and edit your photographs, without adding anything. Coders will like the full set of development libraries and interpreters.
Zenwalk is a GNU/Linux operating system, designed to provide the following characteristics:
- Modern (latest stable software)
- Fast (optimized for performance capabilities)
- Rational (one mainstream application for each task)
- Complete (full development/desktop/multimedia environment)
- Evolutionary (simple network package management tool - netpkg)
Changes in 6.x include:
- new XFCE 4.6.1, making sure that this brand new version is well integrated into Zenwalk 6.0.
- Replaced Gnome Office with an optimized version of Openoffice 3.1.0, splited in 2 packages : the base package provides Writer, Calc, Impress and Draw ; the “extra” package (available via Netpkg) provides Math, Darabase and Java support.
- Wifi support in Zenwalk 6.x is probably the very best of what you can expect to find in the GNU/Linux world.
- Totem movie player replaces Mplayer, which is still available from the growing package repository.
- Completely new artwork design making Zenwalk visually and functionally the most sober and elegant release to date.
- Zenwalk now boasts thousands of recent packages in the "extra" repository, including KDE, Gnome and many other new packages as well as numerous language packs.
- Kernel 220.127.116.11 with gspca (supports many USB webcams).
- The new XFCE 4.6.1
- Openoffice 3.1.0 - fast, optimized version.
- Wicd becomes the main network configuration tool.
- New Zenpanel with integrated Disk Manager, Wifi and Wired Network Manager.
- Faster boot (tuned init scripts, with realtime I/O scheduler).
- Improved suspend/hibernate, with XFCE Power Manager.
- installed in 20 minutes on any modern computer.
We also have the Live version available - Please see 'Live CD' category.