Small yet powerful Linux Distro that's written from the ground up.
Puppies Mission Statement
- Puppy will easily install to USB, Zip or hard drive media.
- Booting from CD, Puppy will load totally into RAM so that the CD drive is then free for other purposes.
- Booting from CD, Puppy can save everything back to the CD, no need for a hard drive.
- Booting from USB, Puppy will greatly minimise writes, to extend the life of Flash devices indefinitely.
- Puppy will be extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
- Puppy will boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
- Puppy will have all the applications needed for daily use.
- Puppy will just work, no hassles.
- Puppy will breathe new life into old PC's.
These are extraordinary goals, yet Puppy achieves them all. Obviously, some objectives have qualifications, for example, to load totally into RAM the PC must have either 128M RAM or failing that a swap partition. To save back to CD you will need to purchase a special version called 'Puppy Multisession DVD' found under the 'Live CD' category. Also, the "will just work, no hassles" objective is a work-in-progress!
One thing to be very much aware of is that Puppy is incredibly small. After all, to load totally into RAM and run from there, Puppy has to be small. The live-CD is about 50-100MB, yet "every" application you need is there -- I'm quite serious -- it doesn't seem possible but it is. Furthermore, as everything runs in RAM, there are no delays and the speed is nothing short of astounding.
Lucid Specific: Lucid Puppy is our "flavour" or edition of Puppy Linux that is built from Ubuntu binary packages, hence has compatibility with, and access to, the vast Ubuntu package repositories.
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 is the fastest and friendliest Lucid yet. It is the fastest because it is the first Lucid to use the C and ffmpeg libraries optimized for i686 computers rather than the older i386 computers. Lucid 5.2.8 has also received a thorough going-over under the hood. There is new and updated firmware and drivers for many devices, courtesy of forum member tempestuous, and the hardware detection and configuration routines have been extensively tested and enhanced by forum member rerwin. The overall look and feel has been influenced by experiments forum member pemasu, to make the user interface fun for Linux newbies and experienced users alike.
Best Puppy so Far!!
Wow, this Puppy has all drivers built-in for scanning, digital camera, printing, audio recording/editing/conversion, making it a complete multimedia environment ...yet is only 100MB!!! Of course this is in addition to being a complete office environment, in addition to having a huge collection of useful utilities, in addition to anything else you can think of...
This version is supplied on a standard CD.
Information Courtesy of Puppy's website and reprinted in compliance with the Open Publication License. All trademarks/copyrights are the property of their respective owners