SLAX Kill Bill is fast and beautiful operating system all running from a Live CD.
SLAX Kill Bill is a pocket operating system with the ability to run many Windows applications natively in Linux. It contains KDE, wine, dosbox and qemu.
SLAX's runs directly from the CD (or USB) without installing. SLAX's is based on Slackware and uses the Unification File System (also known as unionfs), allowing read-only filesystem to behave as a writable one, saving all changes to memory.
The primary goal of SLAX is to provide a wide collection of useful software while keeping the cd's image small enough to be written to a 185 MB CD-R(W) medium (small 8 cm CD). SLAX boots directly from the CD or USB devices and it provides a full featured Linux operating system.
Other Live CDs contain all software in a single compressed file. If you run such a Live OS from CD-ROM, the CD drive has to seek back and forth really frequently, because different files are located on different locations of the CD medium. This makes the system notably slow.
With SLAX, all conformable parts of the filesystem are compressed to a standalone file, which doesn't contain anything else. For example, all files which belongs to Xwindow are packed in xwindow.mo, KOffice related stuff is in koffice.mo, etc. If you work with KOffice, you usually need only files from KOffice and nothing else; and hence all files from that part of the filesystem are separated from the rest of it, your CD drive has to seek only in a 10 MB area. This significantly improves the speed.
- Linux kernel 2.6 offering excellent hardware support.
- the newest ALSA sound drivers
- ndiswrapper for loading Windows drivers for WIFI cards
- madwifi drivers for native support for WIFI cards (Multiband Atheros)
- X11 (xorg) Xwindow system, supporting many gfx cards and wheel mice automatically
- KDE 3.4, an excellent desktop software
- webconfig feature allowing you to save your session data to SLAX' web.
- Memory: 36 MB to boot slax. 96 MB to run Xwindow with fluxbox. 144 MB to run Xwindow with KDE. 328 MB to be able to use copy2ram cheatcode.
- Processor: i486 or better, Pentium or AMD are both OK.
- Peripheral devices: PS/2 or USB connected mouse (required for Xwindow only)
- Harddisk: No harddisk is required.
This version is supplied on a standard CD. Please see Mini CD's to order an 8cm CD version.
Information Courtesy SLAX's website and reprinted in compliance with the Open Publication License. All trademarks/copyrights are the property of their respective owners